05 February 2013

Day 185: Students feel fee squeeze

“More matriculants than ever are seeking to enter the tertiary fold owing to an increasing matric pass rate. The pass rate has increased from 60.6% in 2009 to 73.9% for the class of 2012.
The percentage of students who quality for bachelor studies have also increased over the past five years, from 20.1% in 2008 to 26.6% in 2012.
But as university costs increase above inflation every year, students will need deep pockets before they can put on their graduation gowns.
At the University of Cape Town, the average bachelor of commerce degree has increased by about 40% over the past four years.”

“According to Gouws, if your child is born today, you will need to start saving R1 500 a months now for public schooling and a three-year degree and increase that annually to match inflation”.

- Mamello Masote, Money & Careers - Sunday Times, February 3, 2013

If you take into consideration median wage (not the average wage – which stands at about R 16 586 - since income is so unevenly distributed where the bottom 50% takes home less than 8% of the countries income, while the top 10% brings in 60% -- this number is not representative of what the ‘average’ person received as income) which is around R3000 a month – then how they hell is the bulk of the population supposed to support their children in receiving an education?

If 25% of the population is unemployed and where from the other 75% that is employed receive a median income of R3000 (which means 50% of that 75% receives less than R3000!) and you need R1500 per child to provide them with an education that might get them a job – that’s one bleak future for the children of South Africa.

Why are education costs so high for a country trying to battle unemployment? Are they deliberately setting up the market for labour to under produce skilled workers, because there’s simply not enough jobs anyway? So instead of acknowledging that the system doesn’t work, we can simply blame the uneducated population for not being skilled enough to fill in job positions. Because as long as people don’t get to that level of education, then the problem of there not being enough jobs can stay hidden.

In Equal Money Capitalism, Education will be part of one’s Basic Human Rights and thus guaranteed for all. The same goes for Employment as being one’s entry point to securing one’s well being through income. Currently there are not enough jobs because we are only focusing on jobs that will bring in profit. Within Equal Money Capitalism, jobs and job creation will no longer be tied to profit – but tied to Life – and in terms of supporting Life, there’s a lot of work to be done and so enough jobs will be available for all.

Imagine living a world where your Life and your Children’s lives are ensured. Where you do not have to slave away and deprive yourself just to be able to offer your children the slightest chance to a future. The implementation of Equal Money Capitalism will do exactly that.  With a system of Equal Money Capitalism, you can prepare yourself for a worry-free life of financial struggle and focus on what really matters, where more time and resources will be available to enjoy your family and participate in social events, while your children can enjoy high quality education.

For more blogs on Equal Money Capitalism, click here.

Enhanced by Zemanta


Post a Comment